Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Personal Post...

My last couple of webcam images sum things up around here. I don't usually make personal posts. The Grey Area really does attempt to focus on real world issues. But then again, who knows what this gripe could address.

For some reason I feel useless. I passed the bar, so I get to be a licensed attorney, but I can't find a job. This means I get an extended vacation where I sit around and look for jobs, hoping someone will decide to pay me to practice law. Lamenting about my dwindling job prospects is useless in its own right, though. Yet I still can't help feeling this sinking sense of despair, as though the situation will only become more bleak over time. I can't stand this feeling of failing worth. This is the first time I have ever been unemployed and not involved heavily in education. It makes me realize that, at my core, I am a work-a-holic. I can come to terms with that, but when the walls of my apartment begin to feel as though they are closing in on me I know I need to get out of here. It just seems like everything is building up around me and there is nothing I can do to alleviate the pressure.

To some extent, do we all feel like this? Are all sitting around wondering what will happen in two weeks when a staggeringly small amount of people file into the polls to punch a ballot, press a button, or pull a lever. It's as though the political cacophony is building and there is nothing the people can do about it. Unfortunately, this appears to be the nature of our republican (lowercase "r") democracy. At the very least, we get a say every 365 to 730 days.

No comments: